There are so many interesting vegetables that came out this year it was hard to control myself but I did select some to try. Baker which has such a beautiful catalog and it is a joy just to look at it. It would not make sense to order one packet so I will reorders some I have grown before.
- Giant Red Re-Selection celery
I have ordered some seeds from Johnny’s and found some interesting new varieties.
- Salanova – This is a lettuce you grow like a head lettuce but sell as a salad mix. The leafs grow more like baby leafs .According to Salanova.com, multi-leaf heads, as they are generically called, produce two to four times as many leaves as the standard head, with less waste, and are easier to clean and use.
- Imperial Star Artichoke- This is not really a new variety but I am going to try growing it this year using a technique other farmers have developed.
- Romaine/Cos Jericho (OG)-Packet- This is one that is tolerate of heat so I am hoping it will not bolt with the crazy weather here.
- Jasper -a cherry tomato that is new It was an AAS winner.
Seed Savers Exchange has quite a few new interesting varieties.
- ‘Giant Red Reselection’ celery
- ‘Bear Paw’ POPCORN.
I am thinking about growing Cardoons. however, it requires a long, cool growing season (about five months), but it is frost-sensitive. Kansas has two seasons hot and cold.